As the title of this post indicates, 2009 was a pretty "meh" year for me. As seems to be the theme in my life lately, if I look at my life on December 30, 2009, vs. December 30, 2008, not a whole lot has changed.
Instead of lamenting over how boring my life is (but seriously ya'll? My life? It's BORING). (Okay maybe I should admit here that I have full-blown ADHD and really my life is pretty hilarious and I'm really the only one who thinks it's boring, but anyway).
So here you are... 2009. A Year in Review:
- Probably the biggest thing that sticks out in my mind? I lost 20 pounds this year. WHOOO! It was up and down all year, and there is still more to go, but that's pretty huge. I started Weight Watchers on January 3, 2009, after watching a ton of episodes of Ruby on the Style Network, and 1 year later, I could almost be called a gym rat. Who woulda thought?
- I completed my 4th and 5th semesters of law school. THANK GOD ALMIGHTY! One more semester and I will be a law school graduate. Weirddddddd.
- I joined my school's death penalty clinic. This was by far the best thing I've done in law school. I learned more this semester than I did in 18 months working at a firm or the 2 previous years of law school.
- As part of my clinic, I visited my first ever client in prison. This included getting my car searched at the prison entrance, to a thorough pat down as I entered the building. It was not as weird or scary as I thought it would be. In fact it wasn't really scary at all. Of course that's probably because my client is a very quiet and shy man who is innocent of the crime he was convicted of. Maybe if I was visiting Hannibal Lector, I would have felt a little differently.
- I wrote actual motions and memorandum's of law that were filed in an actual case. Like an actual lawyer. WEIRD!
- I went to Europe!
I saw Rome (my favorite!)
Something I never thought I'd do... and honestly? Probably not something I'll ever do again. I am glad I went, don't get me wrong. But Europe is just not for me. I love America.
- I attended several weddings. And no funerals! 2009, FTW! The weddings were all beautiful, and lots of fun.
- I went an entire year unemployed. This was the first time I've been unemployed since the day I turned 16, and it lasted an entire year after I left my firm job in December 2008.
And I HATED IT. I HATE not making money. I HATE not having something to do every second of every day. Don't worry, I have an interview next week for a clerking position to keep me occupied for my last semester of school. (Keep your fingers crossed for me! I need the money and the mental stimulation!).
- Elle Woods gained 10 pounds! (this is big news for us)
- I did not date anybody. Meh. Better luck next year? Ha. It's not like I really TRIED to date anybody. It just didn't happen.
- I visited my cousin in Austin and she came to visit me in Chicago. This was big news. Our moms were good friends, as were our brothers, while we were growing up and we always HATED each other. Actually, she says that she didn't hate me, so apparently I was a bitch even as a wee one. We "re-united" via facebook and AIM over a mutual "wtf" of being in law school (she's a 3L as well), and became good friends. Hooray for friends, family, and family that become friends!
- I had my first real life blogger meetup! I met with up Working Girl Two, Jamie Lovely, Nicole, Jessica, Perks of Being a JAP, and more! Jamie and Working Girl Two hosted a pretty wine label party, and it was SO much fun! I was a little nervous to meet them, since I didn't even know what they looked like or who would be there, but it was awesome. My friends were way more nervous about me going than I was... and I'm pretty sure my mom would die if she knew I went to some girls house that I had never met before. Haha! Some of the girls had blogs I already read (Jamie, Perks of Being a JAP, Working Girl), and I met some new girls with wonderful and hilarious blogs that I've since began reading.
I also got to meet Daisy, JD, and I loooove her just as much in real life as I do on the internet! And I found out that one of my good law school friends is real life friends with Muffy Martini! It is a small, small blogging world!
I am definitely looking forward to meeting more blog/twitter friends in 2010! (Natalie from The Brocks Rock! and her twin sister Jennifer are coming to Chicago in May, over my 25th birthday weekend! I am SO excited to finally meet them in real life! We are going to have SO much fun!)
I think this covers the highlights. Like I said, LOTS to look forward to in 2010, including:
- more blogger/twitter in real life meetings
- Finally losing the last 10 pounds and getting a pair of Louboutins from my mom as a reward!
- an 8 day trip to Honolulu, Hawaii in February
- and hopefully - EMPLOYMENT!
Adios 2009... Welcome 2k10!